I did some recon at the 2009 Louisville Ironman to scope out the site and the transition area. The swim start is 1/2 mile away from the transitions. Bag drops and bike set up are at least all in one place. I wonder if I will be able to find my bike is a sea of 2000 others. Here are some pictures.
Monday, November 9, 2009
The following are some general points I have come across while researching about tri training. It has been interesting how many times the interval of 10 came up.
- 10 Hours - Total time goal to qualify for Hawaii Ironman in my age group.
- 10 degrees - try to dress as if it was 10 degrees warmer than the current temperature for running.
- 10% Aerobic window - Exercising between 70 - 80 % of your heart rate max will be the greatest benifit to aerobic training benifits.
- 10 sec pace improvement- Steady state training in you aerobic training zone with no more than a 10% increase in worklod each week can decrease your weekly workout pace at the same heart rate by 10 sec. weekly.
- 10 BPM - it is likely that the max and training heart rate will be 10 beats per minute less than it is for running. This is most useful.
Sunday, October 18, 2009
Ran the Indianapolis Half-Marathon on Saturday for the first time. It was in the low 30's at the start but turned out to be a beautiful fall day. Shed the layers at mile 3 and tried to stay on pace with unknown terrain ahead. I ran 1:45 in May at the 500 festival Mini but thought I could beat that today. Ended with a PR at 1:39:59. Beats my 2002 time of 1:41:24 on a flat 500 Festival course. This course was not flat and the last 3 miles - rolling hills. I highly recommend the course. The volunteers were great and out in full force.
Tuesday, October 13, 2009
There a some things that a beginner such as myself should know going to the competition day. For instance, all athletes are weighed before the race, for their own safety. Also, up to 20% of starters don't make it to the finish line for a number of uncontrollable reasons. A recent post from an age-grouper from the 2009 Ironman Louisville outlines the highlights of the event.
Saturday was the second time I ran the DINO series Southwestway Park Trail run. Last year I ran 1:24 and improved to 1:15 this year even after the course was reversed - MUCH harder. I amazingly got 3rd place in my age group. Only 9 total but still quite exciting. Results.